Wednesday, April 28, 2021

 April 28, 2021


I wasn’t at all surprised to awaken a week ago today to see “kaka” all over the ground. Disgusted, perhaps, but not surprised. Witnessing Mother Nature’s tenacious love of snow in action is something I’ve done all my life. Though perfectly understandable—she is, after all, a cold-hearted bitch—it does become tedious.

If the daffodils out my bedroom window could speak, they might have heaved a dramatic “le sigh” as they endured the weight of the white abomination landing on their delicate petals. But they endured, those pretty yellow flowers, and gave me a sense of what life is, at its very heart.

It's keeping our petals turned up toward the sun even if our only reward is not heat, but cold, wet snow.

Despite both David and I having received our first shots of the Moderna vaccine, we are still staying home (provincial order) and if we have to go out, there is no doubt whatsoever that we will be masked. Our infection numbers here yesterday reached the highest they have been since the beginning of the pandemic. This county had, as of yesterday at 11:00am, recorded 306 active coronavirus cases. Our area hospital currently has 16 cases, and that, too is a pandemic high. We’re not living in a major population center.

We’re both shaking our heads, dumbfounded that so many people can’t toe the line, can’t see beyond their own “I’m bored with staying home. I want to go out and have fun!” selfishness.

We don’t understand people anymore at all. We’re just grateful to remain home, and by extension, to remain safe.

By the time Saturday rolled around, we were back to our usual springtime temperatures and the snow was gone. In the afternoon, it reached 61, even if it did only feel like 59. And the next day I noticed buds on the neighborhood trees. I am looking forward to having a bit warmer weather, because I would like very much to spend some time out on the porch or in the back yard. I don’t even care if I look like a little old lady sitting in the 60 degrees plus heat, with a blanket over my knees. The truth, painful as it is at times for me to admit is that I am a little old lady and need to sit in that nice warm 60 degree plus heat with a blanket over my knees.

Our new cell phones arrived on Monday, and that was fortunate, because that is the one day of the week our daughter always has off. She’d been the one to choose our new phones, arrange for our plans, and she was the one to get them running—beginning with taking the sim cards out of our old phones and putting them in the new.

We’re currently getting used to them. One definite advantage is that the screens are much larger than on our last phones. I’m delighted that all my pertinent info is in place. Later today we’re to take delivery of protective cases for them. This phone is the slipperiest one I’ve ever had. I need to be careful that I don’t drop it. I’m getting a protective cover for it to sit in that comes with a wallet to carry it in.

We’ve given up on having our “family supper” for Christmas of 2020. With the girls’ schedules being what they are, we had originally planned to hold it on the one day in December when everything jived: December 26th, aka “Boxing Day”. Sadly, that was the first day of our Province’s state of emergency declaration and stay at home order for this virus.

After much consideration, the next date chosen was April 19th. And imagine, just before that day could arrive, we began another lockdown because we were, and still are in another surge.

So, on Saturday last, finally, we simply exchanged our gifts in a not at all fancy hand-off. The girls had asked us what we wanted. And we were told, “don’t tell us you don’t need anything”. Duly chastened, I asked for an iPad (I wanted an Apple product to read my e-books on, and they got me one) and David wanted a Fitbit. The girls, being generous souls, got David an Apple watch, instead.

I was so happy about that, I nearly cried. Not only because of all the wonderful features that device has; not only because I do believe the watch will help him stay moving, giving him reminders, and such. No, I was happy because I don’t know a single thing about it. I had never even seen one before. Therefore, when x, y, or z happens to that watch, I can’t help.

Our second daughter has an Apple watch herself and loves it. And that’s another reason I’m happy.

I just know we’re going to be seeing a whole lot more of her now in the days and weeks and months to come.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment