Wednesday, May 5, 2021

 May 5, 2021


There’s a relatively new expression that I’ve been hearing over the last several months. It is, “saying the quiet part out loud”. Now, normally, I don’t spend too much time thinking about these expressions that make the rounds. For example, I think that referring to silence on the part of officials as “crickets” is just a great big nothing burger.

And while it’s true that these expressions come and blessedly go—I mean does anyone ever refer to something they really like as “the bee’s knees” anymore? The individual expressions pass, but the habit of coining them doesn’t. I think that’s just human nature at work, our sometimes-desperate desire to ensure that we get everything lined up into neat little piles, with labels and directions. Sort of like the words in the song Alice’s Restaurant. We want to turn our lives into a series of “twenty-seven eight by ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one, explain what each one is about”.

And by the way, “crickets” = quiet doesn’t work for me because there have been summer nights in my life when there’s been a cricket in the bedroom. That, my friends, is the antithesis of quiet.

But I digress.

The reason for this convoluted opening is that I believe I have committed the sin of saying the quiet part out loud. Yes, although I wrote it instead of saying it…and it happened in my essay last week.

If you will be so kind as to recall, in last week’s essay I expressed my great joy and everlasting gratitude that the girls, instead of gifting David with the Fitbit he’d asked as his gift for Christmas gave him, instead, an Apple Watch. I was happy because, you see, I don’t know anything about that device, I didn’t want to know anything about that device, so my beloved would have to get his help for the use of that device from someone else.

Ah, well, it was a nice idea, a lovely concept, and I did enjoy a day or two of bliss because of it. A few very short day or two.

Apparently, I’m not the only senior citizen in this house who doesn’t want to learn anything about the Apple Watch. And if anyone from Apple is reading this, no, there is nothing wrong with that wonderful, dare I say miraculous device you’ve created. The problem lay with the person around whose wrist that device was positioned.

I don’t blame David for his reaction, not at all. The older we get the more difficult it is to adapt to advancing technology. And if we’re to be perfectly honest here, his use of the devices he has “mastered”—his laptop, his desktop, and his cell phone—well, that usage hasn’t actually been very masterful.

Our daughter and I have learned to agree with him whole-heartedly that the damn thing did something stupid all by itself, and just fix the “glitch” for him, rather than to try and convince him the only thing truly “the matter” with the device was the person using it. We know, we know. Whatever happens, he didn’t do it, the device did!

I think he tried, at least for a couple of minutes, to learn something about the watch but I totally understand the fact that for our senior minds there is a wall which can be impenetrable when it comes to technology or anything new. I can’t wrap my head around that which began as photoshop (and who the hell knows what it’s called now)? I am blessed to have a good friend who creates memes and banners for me that I use on Face Book to promote my new releases. David is thinking of publishing his books when he finishes the last one of his trilogy, and I am cheering him on. But we’ll have to hire someone to do it for us because, yeah, that formatting and all the other stuff that goes along with publishing a novel? Way above my pay grade.

Seriously.

And also seriously was the fantasy I had in my mind, thinking that I would be saved interruptions and pleas for help several times a day because I didn’t know anything about the watch. We did have one very predictable exchange not long after I posted that essay last week.

Him: (holding the watch across his palm much like one would hold a dead lizard) It did this, and then it did that, and now it won’t do the other thing! (Followed by his thrusting said palm as close to me as he could).

Me: (trying very hard to speak kindly) Why are you telling me? I don’t know anything about it. I can’t help you. Please, go and text our second daughter.

It was the look on his face that slew me. He clearly believed I can fix anything, and I was sorry that he had to learn the truth—I can’t.

But now, I don’t have to worry anymore, nope, no worries here.

Last night our daughter relieved him of the watch and gave him her three-month old Fitbit in place of it. The Fitbit app is on his phone, the watch app is off his phone, and he is a happy camper. When he got up this morning, he was able to check his sleep, and he can check his steps, and that was all he wanted the device for. Well, perhaps he is obsessing a bit about his heartrate (Why is my heart doing that? What’s wrong with it?). But that, I predict, will be another essay.

And I really don’t mind helping him out with the device itself. I do know a thing or two about the Fitbit, having worn one now for nearly five years.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment