Wednesday, April 14, 2021

 April 14, 2021


This is the time of year I call showers, flowers and pilgrims. As in that somewhat tired old joke, if April showers bring May flowers, what do Mayflowers bring? Pilgrims.

We’re certainly in the season of showers. The last couple of days have been wet, indeed. Monday it poured for most of the day. We have 3 daffodils blooming outside our bedroom window. Those flowers are always the first to appear, because that side of the house, facing south, gets a lot more sun than the flowers we have planted at the front of the house, facing east. Along with daffodils, we have a few tulips planted outside that bedroom window, too. To the west of the window, and where I cannot see them without lifting the glass and poking my head out are my two beleaguered rose bushes. I’m hoping for a few blooms this year. I do know they’re still alive because I saw them yesterday. We’ll have to wait and see if rose buds follow.

The front garden more or less sprawls from the north-east to the south-east corner of the house. There are daffodils and narcissi, tulips and crocuses and hyacinths. We have two peonies, and an abundance of lily of the valley. And bracketing them all, at each of those noted house corners, is a lilac. We’ve had those particular trees/shrubs a few years now, and while they’re not growing rapidly, they’re steadfastly alive and have bloomed during all but one year.

The trees here are not yet budding, but I know that they soon will be. In the meantime, the flowers planted in the front of the house are already all green shoots—or in the case of the peonies, reddish shoots. Just growing, reaching higher, and hoping for no more snow.

Of course, these same bulbs have put shoots up a few times and then been snowed upon. They’re hardy, and I have faith in them, and in nature. Most of the time.

I was not at all surprised but was very saddened to hear of the passing of HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. We saw a picture of him, taken as he was riding back to Windsor Castle after his discharge from the hospital a few weeks ago. Seeing him, one knew he was going home to die.

He has been a fixture in my life for all of my life, as has Her Majesty. There has been no other monarch in my lifetime, and yes, HM Queen Elizabeth II is my queen, as Canada is a part of the British Commonwealth.

My parents both considered themselves as British subjects. They held the monarchy in great esteem and raised the three of us to that same standard. My father died when I was 8, but I still recall one of our absolute Christmas traditions—watching the Queen’s Christmas Day message.

Until 1982, with the repatriation of our constitution, if we landed and an airport and there was a line designated “British Subjects”, why that was the line we would need to stand in because we were. That’s a poor illustration, I know, but my point is that while Canada passed the Constitution Act and Great Britain passed the Canada Act to make Canada completely sovereign, that didn’t dismiss my emotional attachment to the Crown (and I am not referring to the television show).

And yes, I do know all the words to God Save The Queen and will in fact stand any time that I hear it played or sung.

While Prince Philip can be accused of comments and jokes common to his age and the times in which he was raised, and those comments were racist, I have never believed in throwing the baby out with the bath water. I do believe the dedication he has shown in the service of others, most notably the youth of the commonwealth, far outweigh words uttered that were at the least, intemperate and at worst highly offensive. And I don’t recall hearing of any actions he’d taken that can be considered offensive.

We are in danger of becoming a people unwilling to forgive, and incapable of mercy. I think that I just described and therefore now finally understand the concept of cancel culture. But if we allow that to become our norm, that, my friends, is the ballgame. Seriously.

For what is humanity but the ability to see ourselves in others, to feel compassion for our fellow humans, acknowledging that we are all imperfect beings. To err, and be forgiven, and to forgive, and to keep trying. That is the point of living.

On a personal note, David and I received our first shot of the Covid-19 vaccine yesterday morning. Our local County Health Unit has a clinic here in town, and it was the Moderna mRNA that we received. I thought that I would cry like a baby after, but I haven’t yet.  Likely will when I least expect it. We are both relieved and very, very grateful to have been given this gift.

I got the shot for myself, no question there. But I also got it for anyone else I might come in contact with. To protect my 48-year-old son who has type 1 diabetes, and anyone else who’s vulnerable. We are all in this together. And having got the shot, yes, I am still going to wear my masks. Plural, because I wear 2. And I will definitely get the second shot, when appointment day arrives.

I hope you are planning to get your shot and will still continue to mask up as well. If we all work together, we can kick Covid’s ass.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment