Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Be curious!

 November 8, 2023


Before sitting down to watch a video that purports to be “Funny/Very Funny/Funniest Memes/Tweets About A/B/C” it would be a good idea to first understand who concocted the compilation, and what it is in this world that they consider to be funny.

Now I can’t likely do that, really, but it has occurred to me that if I became a more astute viewer of compilations, I might get to recognize the “name” of the creator and whether or not the video is worth watching. This is a rule anyone can follow, if they have it in them to suffer through all those compilations that have no earthly connection to the concept of humor.

One more of those things in this life that I know I’ll never accomplish, because I really don’t have that brand of patience.

However, as I was doing my nightly stroll through YouTube on the weekend, watching interesting videos, I couldn’t help but think back to the days before we had something called the Internet. Today what I do as I scroll through various videos, or read different articles, is that I’ll often stop and google someone or something, because I want to learn more about some facet or another of a topic.

Sometimes I lose sight of what a marvel that, all by itself, is.

In the way-back machine, I used to also sometimes have questions and wonder about stuff…and what I would do back then, was I would make a list. And even back then when I was writing but not yet published, I would need to do research. So, about three or four times a year, I would arrange to go to a major library in my neck of the woods. A few times I went to the University library, other times just the huge public library in Hamilton. I would have a list of topics, and I would have those topics organized by relevancy (to my writing). I’d go and find a few pieces of source material, then I would hunker down in one of the cubicles they provided (at both libraries). I would sit and read and make notes—yes, with pen and paper—and then I would get up, exchange some of the books, and settle in once more.

These excursions lasted several hours, of course. I didn’t always find the answers to every question I had, but for the time that I was in that wondrous place of books and knowledge, I thrived. The bonus was that as a mother of three young children, my life for the most part was work and home; and once home, housework, cooking, childcare…not much “me time” in those days at all. But being busy for others was made that much more tolerable by the fact that I could look forward to going to the library for peace and quiet and knowledge whenever I needed to do so.

I count it as a positive that at my age, I’m still curious about things. I’ll be watching television, be it news or any other program, and I’ll hear a name or learn a little about a subject new to me and I’ll wonder….so I’ll make a note and check it out. I still learn things and want to learn things. And yes, it might also be true that I have to learn that thing more than once these days, because I already have so much knowledge crammed into my brain, that there’s not a whole lot of room left for more. So, I have to learn it a couple of times before it fits into my noggin. Sort of a version of jamming that dress into the suitcase until you can close it.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

One of the things I have never understood about humanity is that there are people who are not very curious about anything at all. I can’t imagine living my life that way. I really can’t.

To my way of thinking, learning about new ideas and new things, reading new books (though I do like to re-read my favorites), that is the spice that flavors my life. Something new. Something different. Something wonderful.

The probability that I’ll find that just around the corner? That’s the siren call that makes me look forward to getting up each morning.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

https://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury


No comments:

Post a Comment