Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Spring rituals...

 May 31, 2023

It’s the last day of May! Time is moving way too fast, these days. But the fact that I’ve heard that very sentiment from several people over the last few weeks lets me know that I’m not alone.

However—and also a fact—most of the people who’ve expressed that same view are my age or older. This lets me know exactly what category of human I now have fully and completely fallen into: senior citizen.

Yeah, yeah, you’re only as old as you feel and blah, blah, blah. That is as true a saying as ever there was. Friends, over the last couple of weeks I’ve been feeling very old, indeed.

My emotions go in this direction, generally speaking, when I am in the midst of a particularly long arthritic flare up. It is what it is, and while I tend to keep my sense of humor regardless of the level of my personal discomfort, that sense of humor can tend to slide toward the gallows side of things after a time. Enough of that.

Our walnut tree has shed its whatever the hell they are green crumbly things and is now in full leaf. David used his leaf blower to get all that debris off our porch, the porch steps, and sidewalk. It took him a bit of effort, but not much, and the difference is dramatic.

May has been an especially busy month for us. Between us, we had 5 medical appointments, four of them within a single two-week period. That seems to be the way things happen now, everything getting all bunched up together. The only problem with that, of course, is that I don’t like it when things happen that way. Having to go out two days in a row or, Heaven Help me, three days in one week? That’s my new personal definition of horrendous.

The history books will, I hope, tell of all the ways in which that damn pandemic has done a number on all of us. I’m hoping someone writes a chapter on the difficulties, not only of going from busy to hermit-like, but the reverse process as well.

As one gets older, many things change within oneself. Activities of any kind which only yesterday were done with ease, now take much more effort. And adaptation to change is also a very much longer process.

There is one thing, however, that I would like to make clear. I have tended toward hermit-like behaviour for some time now—yes, I mean even before the pandemic. And I am guilty of, (pre-pandemic) having voiced the thought that I would appreciate having a good chunk of time when I didn’t have to go anywhere or do anything or see anyone.

But that does not mean that I willed the last three years into being.

No, what happened next after those muttered words just reinforced that age-old saw, “be careful what you wish for.” I want to acknowledge to the cosmos that I have been so warned. I will do my best in the future to wish more carefully. Unless I don’t.

We’ve replanted the green bean seeds that were planted when David put together the table gardens, because over the course of more than two weeks, there were no sprouts. Since there were also no signs of incursion from the local chipmunks and squirrels, he decided the package of seeds must have been “bad”.  The seeds he replanted must have been very good and very tasty because the day after he put them in, the critters ate them. He’s considering a third planting. I’ll keep y’all in the loop.

He’s also bought seven tomato plants that were at a local garden center that he claimed looked really good. One of the types of plant he bought purports to produce “4-pound” tomatoes. When he told me that, I immediately imagined the honking big “stuffed” tomato I could make for supper. I’d serve it on the meat platter, and we’d all have a good-sized portion! Be proud of me, my friends. I didn’t roll my eyes at his claim—at least, not literally.

Meanwhile, I’m a happy camper, for the most part. I have a few sprigs from my now fully blooming lilacs on my desk. No, they don’t last long, but the smell very sweet. And yes, I’ve managed to get a few still blooming lilies-of-the-valley shoved in there, too.

They’re the image of springtime that I have carried with me since my childhood. And I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury




No comments:

Post a Comment