Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Ah, those flowering crabs...

 May 24, 2023


This week, the trees in our neighborhood have progressed from showing tiny green, nearly indistinguishable buds to displaying young, light green leaves. Even our walnut tree, the last of the trees in this area to leaf, has got almost sufficient greenery now to shade my eyes from the early morning sun. Almost.

Our wonderful perennial spring flowers—hyacinths and narcissi, daffodils and tulips—have bloomed and are beginning to get ready to go back to sleep until next spring. The two peony plants we have are gaining height and will soon fill the rings that are already in place to keep them standing strong.

My lilies-of-the-valley have begun to bloom, and since my lilacs are nearly there, I continue to hope to catch that mingled scent on the air…any day now. Here, I have to add that the other lilacs in this area are already in full, vibrant flower. My two small bushes are always the last of their kind to show their mauve blossoms.

Back in the day when I was driving David back and forth for his work, there was a small little park we passed every day. On the last leg of our journey home, this park stood beside a rural historical site (an actual house-turned-museum with a plaque, no less). This small park has a little arced lane with two “entrances”. You can pull off the road and park if you like or use it as a turn around—or even as a brief “detour”, driving in one opening and out the other. It’s not very large, comprised mostly of grass and features a public trash can that gets emptied on a regular basis. There may have been a picnic table there at one time, as this county did have a habit of providing those on small green spaces, in times past.

But the best feature of this small park for me was the grouping of three flowering crab apple trees. Those trees, when they bloomed, would be magnificent. But, unlike my trusty lilies and narcissi, they never have blossomed every year. I have no idea why that is, but several times in the last decade, but I keenly recall my occasional disappointment when I realized that they weren’t going to give us a beautiful display that year. I have missed the routine of driving by that spot to see if they have flowered, or not. And because I am getting older, a few springs have passed when that spot has completely slipped my mind.

I usually kick my butt when that happens, because I really love taking a moment to look at those trees. For more than a decade, I drove past them twice a day, and of all the things that stopped forming my “normal” when David retired, that was the one that I have missed the most.

While he was still working, and being driven by our daughter, he would let me know when those trees were in bloom, and I would take a half hour to drive out just to look at them.

This past week found us out and about, and so we took a small detour and joy of joys, those trees were in full flower! I even got a couple of pictures of them.

As for our veggie gardens, they are slowly coming along. We had a couple of very chilly days, and that certainly didn’t help. David planted bean seeds in one of the table gardens a week ago, and nothing has sprouted. I suggested that perhaps between his watering and the rain we got, they may have become water-logged.

At the moment, he’s very down on his veggie gardens. Yesterday when we were talking about them, he used the words, “unmitigated disaster”. I told him the truth. He was having a bad season so far, because he began his planting way too early. He admitted to me that he had been so eager for spring to begin, that in the moment, he couldn’t help but let his impatience overrule his common sense.

I suggested that he write all that down, so that next year, he could take the lessons learned this year and apply them. In the meantime, today is May 24th—the day before which planting one’s veggies had always been considered a risk. And we have lots of time left, and sufficient resources, to replant and resow where we need to.

Sometimes, things don’t work the first time we try them; and that’s just life.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury




No comments:

Post a Comment