Wednesday, February 8, 2023

A sure sign of spring....

 February 8, 2023

I’m sure we’re all very grateful that the polar vortex that vexed us all over the last couple of weeks is finally a thing of the past. There comes a point that, when the temperature drops low enough, the cold begins to seep in, regardless of your efforts to keep it out.

That’s how it would be if a new ice age ever came. The temperatures would finally drop so low, that everything would simply stop working, and no number of blankets would help. A deep cave with a supply of water and a safe area to burn wood for heat might increase one’s chances of survival. But it kind of begs the question: why bother to survive in so desolate a world?

I hope knowing the fact that the picture I just painted of dystopia is not in our foreseeable futures, will give us all the lift we need at this point in the year. And by “this point”, of course, I’m referring to those of us in North America that are north of the Mason-Dixon line. We, who by virtue of having been either born here or chosen to relocate here, are subjected to the four seasons of the planet, in all their extreme glory. We, who by now are thoroughly sick of snow and ice and the frigid temperatures that accompany them.

Don’t worry, all you who hunger for spring. It truly is on its way. Every year as January closes, there are two benchmarks we must hit before spring may arrive. First, of course, we must have Groundhog Day. That is now done. Next, comes the Super Bowl. That game must be a sign of spring, because once it’s done the spring season of television shows begin. And then, just a few episodes into your favorite entertainment programming should find you wearing a lighter coat as the temperatures outside begin the rise that comes with the vernal equinox.

Meanwhile, here in my hermit cave, I am attempting to get my paperwork in order in preparation for tax season. Our deadline here in Canada is the end of April, as opposed to the middle of it. Sometimes things get away from me. I think this is a flaw that is somehow etched right into my DNA. Or at the very least, a bad habit that I cannot overcome on my own. That this is so, absolutely confounds me. I can be so anal about so many things—and so completely sanguine about others.

It's not a mix that has necessarily served me well over the years, either. One would think that after several mad scrambles on the part of yours truly, I would learn. Alas, I am smart, but sometimes one would be hard-pressed to know it.

Having spent time last week opining on the subject of rodent prognostication, I feel I must also give due consideration to the Super Bowl as an harbinger of spring. Never let it be said that I jinxed the springtime rituals by not giving due consideration to the game.

When our younger son was in his early teens, he played league football. We spent a lot of time at his games, and of course, we were not silent spectators. We kept it clean but kept it lively. My beloved and I even volunteered to wield the yard markers. Anthony used to be kind of embarrassed about all the cheering coming from our cheap seats on the sidelines. Well, until that time when a couple of his teammates told him how lucky he was to have his parents there and cheering for him.

We have occasionally enjoyed football in this house, but never watched it overmuch. In our early years together, there was always a Grey Cup party in the late fall. The Grey Cup is the name of the Canadian Football Championship game and its trophy. We attended the Grey Cup parade in Hamilton on December 2, 1972. We had seats in the bleachers! Then the next day we watched the game from our small Hamilton apartment. We would have gone to my in-laws for the occasion but were smart enough to know that driving home post-game would have meant dealing with traffic of epic proportions. And, this was just a little more than a week before we had our first child.

We no longer make it a point to watch any football, though we are aware of how the various teams in the Canadian Football league do through each season. Apparently, however, these days there is as much excitement for the Super Bowl up here in the great frozen north, as there is down south below the 49th parallel.

Having watched a few minutes of various Super Bowl games over the years, I have a question. How can you keep the game in your focus, when it seems like there’s a commercial break after every single play?

I tell you truly, that’s a skill-set I simply do not have—nor do I have any hope of being able to acquire it.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury


No comments:

Post a Comment