Wednesday, November 9, 2022

There's something in the air...

 November 9, 2022


David and I talk about anything and everything under the sun. We always have. We’ve never lived in each other’s back pockets, but we’ve never been without communication between us.

Our early married years, those years when, as a newly married couple you try to find your footing and balance were interesting for us, and I believe the fact that we’re still together, is because of the work we did in those very early and iffy years.

By all common sense and the consensus of all at the time of our marriage, we should have been doomed to failure and destined for a divorce. We were different in a lot of ways. David came from a family where his father would say “jump!” and everyone would ask, “how high, sir?” I, after the age of 8 and a half, was the youngest child of three being raised by a single mother, following the death of my father. I had no real memory of a father as the acknowledged head of the family. My mother believed very much that the husband’s role was exactly that, but I had no real connection to the concept myself.

Also the fact that I was a week shy of my 18th  birthday, and David was just 19 at the time we got married seemed to point toward the likelihood of inevitable failure.

So right from day one, we had very different expectations. David only ever tried to tell me what to do once, and that was when I told him that I wanted to go to university. He didn’t want me to, even if I could get a student grant and loan to do so. (In those days, if one qualified, one could get mostly a grant with a small portion of loan to pursue a university degree.) Long story short, he told me I couldn’t. I wasn’t having that.  And then we compromised. I had left high school at the end of grade 12; he said if I could get my grade 13 (yes, we had grade 13 in 1973), and provided I could get financed through the student grant and loan program, then I could go.

I had no problem passing that grade and was admitted to university with childcare and living expenses included in the grant. Truthfully, it was as if I had a part-time job for the money I brought to the family. Sadly, I was unable to finish my B.A. because of two consecutive challenges: my mother died just before my exams at the end of my first year, and I became pregnant in my second year of Uni and was confined to bedrest. As I was preparing to return to school, I discovered I was pregnant again. With only the one child we already had, I could have managed going to school; with three children, that wasn’t financially feasible, no matter how much grant money I was offered.

So we worked at our jobs and we raised our children. Life was different than I had envisioned it to be, but not worse, not better…. just different.

As I said, David and I discuss all manner of things. My husband is very well read—had in fact read all my history and psychology textbooks while I was in university—and while we never seem to run out of things to say, we don’t always agree.

One of our milestones on the path to maturity was realizing that we did not have to agree about everything.

Also, the range of the topics which we will discuss doesn’t appear to have any limits, and not coincidentally, no guardrails, either.

This past Monday morning I stepped out onto the porch to check the temperature. David was out there, with one of our dogs on his lap. I had all the information I needed as soon as I opened the door and beheld him in his hoodie, with the hood up. It was most definitely brisk out. Since it was a bit breezy, I inhaled deeply and then turned to him.

“Fresh country air, today, I see.” That is a code phrase, one that originated with my mother. It’s meaning: the air was redolent with the aroma of…. manure.

“That time of year for it. They have to fertilize before the snow comes.”

I nodded my agreement. “Cow manure,” I said.

“Yes, cow manure,” he agreed.

Friends, I don’t know for certain what it says about us both that we can tell the difference between cow, horse, pig, and chicken manure. But we can.

For my own part, I spent the first 18 years of my life living in what we used to call “the sticks”, which means a rural area. There were enough farms in the vicinity that one got to know the bouquet, shall we say, of the animals being raised. Then, after we’d been married for a year, I came back to the country from the city, and David got his first whiff of country life.

We lived the next fifteen years in a rural area. Actually, we lived in the small house my mother owned (we became her tenants), the first house she and dad ever owned, which was right next door to the second, bigger house they bought the year before he died. When Mom died, my sister who had lived with her, traded houses with us.

David didn’t need to have grown up out in the country to quickly have learned the difference in odor between the various by-products of farming.  Now, I’m not certain how quickly truly avowed city dwellers would be able to develop this skill—except in the case of one critter. I promise if you ever have the unfortunate opportunity to smell a chicken barn, up-close and personal, the memory of that encounter will be forever seared into your otherwise delicate olfactory senses.

With that image planted in your minds, I want you all to know that yesterday, my beloved husband turned 70. He reminded me recently during one of our far-ranging chats, that he’d always believed he would die very young. I told him to hush up, because he still could do that.

Tonight, we go out to supper with our daughter and our second daughter—who also had a birthday yesterday, thus sharing the occasion with “grandpa”—and the only other guest at this outing will be her granddaughter.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury


No comments:

Post a Comment