Wednesday, November 2, 2022

A clock story...

 November 2, 2022


The good news is that according to the Ashbury Household Standard Measure, the winter of 22 – 23 already has one month in the bag! We in this family hold as truth that winter in our part of Canada is from October to March, inclusive. The bad news is that it is November, and so far, while the temperature outside is slightly above normal for this time of year, it’s most definitely dampish out there—or has been until this morning.

Today is supposed to be mainly sunny the rest of the day. We’re at that point in the year when my gaze does tend to scan down on the weather network’s site to that all-important statistic: expected hours of sunlight. Yesterday I looked up the forecast for Wednesday, and saw it boasted we’ll have 8 hours today. But of course, just because it’s in the forecast does not mean it will come to fruition.

Monday was rainy off and on and Tuesday began with a bit of rain and completely overcast skies. No wonder the critters look around and begin to frantically prepare to hibernate at this time of year.

Stepping inside from outside, I can proudly report that our own “nut gathering” is complete, at least to the extent that we have room to store things. Our gardens have been emptied of vegetation, the first round of leaf blowing and bagging has been done, and yesterday saw another trip made to the town’s landfill site to offload a carload of junk. It is our goal to reduce the amount of stuff we have here. The top goal is to complete the renovations upstairs, to make the house more fuel efficient going forward. But there is just too much stuff stored up there to work—at least for the time being. It won’t likely take too long to fix that little thing.

But of all the accomplishments that have been achieved over the last month as we were in full winter-prep mode, the one that stands out is this: finally, after a period of about eighteen months, I once more have my clock up on the wall here in my office.

I suppose the fact that this clock is on the same wall as the front door—the east facing outer wall—is at the root of the challenge we’ve had, keeping that clock in place. My husband hung this clock the day I bought it, oh probably more than five years ago now, and yes, it’s kind of a fussy design, with a couple of spiral-like extensions that are supposed to look like vines, complete with leaves, positioned at 10 and 5. It’s a burnished metal in colour, the clock face is beige with tan leaves that you have to look closely at to see that they are indeed leaves. When I went clock shopping this was the one that I liked, so I bought it at our local Walmart, and yes, it was very affordable (but not quite cheap). And a necessary purchase as the previous small clock I had in that same position had stopped working.

The first time my husband hung the clock up it stayed up there for a few months before someone slammed the front door really hard—and the clock came down!

Of course, this is a very packed office and when that clock fell it went straight down to the floor, behind an almost five-foot high bookshelf. The only way to retrieve that clock was to go down onto the floor, on hands and knees, under my desk and reach behind that bookcase that is exactly to the right….

That first time it took only a couple of weeks for David to accomplish the task of retrieving and rehanging that clock.

The last time that clock fell because, again, someone slammed the front door, was roughly eighteen months ago. Note I emphasized “last time” because I think the total number of times its happened is 6 or 7). And in the interim, after that last time, both husband and daughter would come into my office, at least several times a week, and while in here with me for whatever reason would glance up to where the clock should have been… to check the time.

My standard line when that happened was: “The clock is not up there. It fell, if you will recall, and it can’t raise itself.” It got to the point that I would watch for that quick glance up, hoping beyond hope that at some point one of them would do what I absolutely could not do, physically. I hoped that one of them would retrieve that poor clock from its obscurity behind the bookshelf.

Now, David made a good first step back in May and finally went under my desk and did that very thing. I dusted it off and saw that it was still working, and then he set it on one of the bookshelves in an adjacent unit. He laid it flat, because that was the only way that clock was going to be able to be on the shelf. This meant, of course, you couldn’t read the time, but it was there. Ready for when he planned to come back a little bit later to hang it.

Finally, after more than one request on my part and several promises on his, David managed the feat last week. This time, he assured me, that clock was not going to come down, no how, no way. I’m hoping that since he used a drill and really seemed to be focused on the task at hand, his declaration proves true.

And while I could resist the pun, I am not going to, so brace yourselves and get ready to groan.

Only time will tell how long that clock stays up on the wall, going forward.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury

No comments:

Post a Comment