Wednesday, February 23, 2022

 February 23, 2022


I’ve always considered the definition of a traditional February as being the month of bitter sub-zeros and too much snow. With less than a full week left of this deeply wintry month, I can report that February of 2022 has been exceedingly traditional.

With the freeze-thaw-freeze cycle we’ve been in the last week or so, I haven’t ventured outside. I have to be very careful moving when it’s snowy and icy, of course, and it just seems unnecessary to go out just for the sake of getting fresh air.

I open the front door, as well as the back one, at least twice a week. I stick my head out and I breath in, and deeply too, at least three times! That’s fresh air, and that’s my story and I’m sticking to it—at least until we get a few warmer days.

As soon as we have couple of days where the mercury climbs to forty, then of course I will open my doors and windows and air this house out. It never gets really stale in here anyway, because we do have several little places where the seals between the doors and windows of this place and the outside world are not what anyone would call airtight.

David tried to replace the weatherstripping on the back door last week, but quickly realized that it’s a project best saved for the spring. He also has proposed installing screen doors, front and back, and actually, I like that idea. Not because I think that the extra door will keep the cold out in winter, though I suppose it might help. But because I can then have the doors open to the air in the summer, but not open for the bugs to come in.

There’s nothing I hate more than when flies get in my house. And we don’t even want to mention the occasional wasp, do we? I think having screen doors will be a great way to combat that habit he has of leaving the inside door wide open. And yes, I will suggest, strongly, that the screen doors he acquires have glass that can be raised or lowered as the need arises.

Wish me luck with that one.

Our renovation in the bathroom is complete, and I am now almost exclusively using the door that opens between it and our bedroom. The new closet is still in the planning stage, and that’s fine. David will be getting to work on that soon. I’ve done my part, as I have given away nearly a half of all the clothing I had prior to this renovation. That wasn’t as hard as I had feared it would be, because I gave myself permission to keep anything I felt really attached to.

I know I didn’t do a good job of explaining myself when my husband asked me why I was so upset over his original dictate – “that you have too many clothes, and they just have to go!” Fortunately for the cause of world peace and security, my beloved will never be a member of Canada’s diplomatic corps.

As I get older, I often reflect on the days of raising kids. I used to joke that once you become a parent, you no longer have the right to own anything, because those kids were capable of breaking, borrowing, or losing anything and everything, on a regular basis. And not necessarily but also, as I get older, I feel less secure, just generally speaking.

My relationship with clothing has always been…different. While raising our kids, what money was available for clothing went to buy clothing for them. I still recall the day I was taking our middle child, the one no longer here, to the mall to buy him a pair of really good athletic shoes. They cost a mint, but he needed them. As I was walking down the mall toward the store, I was glad I was wearing slacks, because the elastic in my undies chose that moment to let go. If I’d been wearing a skirt, my undies might have hit the floor. At the time, I found it really funny that I was about to spend more than a hundred dollars on shoes for my son, when I didn’t have decent underwear for myself.

Now, I have no kids to raise, and since, oh, about the last twenty years or so, I’ve felt relatively free to ensure I have good underwear, and all manner of other necessary clothing, whatever I’ve needed and occasionally, I even felt free to buy something that was pretty, that I wanted, but didn’t necessarily need.

So, when David told me I must rid myself of most of my clothing as if it was nothing more than unnecessary flotsam and jetsam, it just kind of pissed me off.

But I went through everything that had been hanging in my closet and not worn for a long time and managed to fill three large bags for donation. And when my husband seemed pleased with my effort, I simply shrugged.

And I assured him that if I did start leaving the house again on a regular basis, my first few trips out would most likely be to buy new clothes.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury


No comments:

Post a Comment