Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Time with family....

 April 24, 2024


I always enjoy it when I get to spend time with my girls. One was born to me, and one became the daughter of my heart soon after we met, when she began to date my second son. She is the mother of three of my grandchildren, one of whom is with the Lord.

The two women consider themselves sisters to each other, and that’s solid. And despite the differences in their appearances, one needs only to hear them bantering with each other to decide that yes, these two women are most definitely sisters.

On this past Monday the three of us went to the nearest Costco – about a twenty-five-minute drive from home. After our shopping spree, we were then heading a little farther afield, to have supper at the Mandarin—a Chinese buffet chain of restaurants thriving in this province. It was a rare Ladies’ night, and I loved every moment of it.

Since we were going in my daughter’s vehicle, I left my mobility scooter at home and took my walker, instead. Three women shopping at Costco? You know that’s going to be a lot of purchases to load into the vehicle. The walker takes up less room, and I wasn’t worried about the loading of the groceries, because daughter is an excellent Tetris player.

My plan was to use one of Costco’s mobility scooters for shopping. Then I would use my walker at the restaurant. Aside from making the act of walking easier than using a cane, the walker served a second purpose by holding my plate(s) of food safe until I reached our table again.

A side note, a slight digression: as we were leaving the restaurant, I had a slip of the tongue and referred to my walker as my stroller. After a great deal of laughter, the girls decided they would refer to the device as my stroller from now on.

I have a grandson who has been a proud employee of Costco for more than a decade. We’ve been to that location several times, and never seen him. This time, however, we did. Second daughter spotted him first. She pointed and said, “isn’t that one of yours?”

We had a nice if short visit, in two parts. When my granddaughter brought her husband his supper about twenty minutes later, they found us in the store, and so I got two hugs on Monday. Added to the joy of spending time with both girls, it was a banner day, indeed.

I cherish my family, and love nothing more than spending time with them. Despite that, and other than our daughter, we don’t get to spend much time with the rest of them. Everyone is so very busy, and I don’t hold that against any of them. I reach out to my grandchildren via text from time to time, just to keep those lines of communication open.

The hardest part of family is that it is comprised of people who have just as much free will as you yourself possess.

I have never, ever forced myself on other people. Has that been a mistake over the years? Should I have pushed and insisted on a closer contact? I can’t answer that. I can only say that I am the way I am, and my nature has always tended toward the non-confrontational. Relationships, after all, really are two-way streets.

Now as April is in its last full week, we hear from the weather network that parts of this province are possibly going to experience a late spring snowstorm! So far, that doesn’t appear to be us. But if there’s one thing that I’ve learned in my several decades on this planet, it’s this.

The unexpected shouldn’t be unexpected at all because it’s inevitable—and sometimes powerfully fierce.

So do yourself a favor and learn how to tuck and roll.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

https://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury


No comments:

Post a Comment