Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Happy 2023...

 January 4, 2023


I hope you had wonderful Christmas and New Year’s celebrations. Now here we all are, fully living in the new year, having to learn to write 2023. I swear I just got used to writing 2022…. or so it seems. This is the hamster wheel we’re all on, and it’s the same thing every January. And really, one can adapt faster than one thinks possible.

This past week has given us mild temperatures, for the most part. There has been a lot of rain. This time of year, there is only one reason that I can think of not to mind the rain. And that reason is that with rain, at least you don’t have to shovel it. Of course, my days of shoveling snow, as well as its warm-up act, clearing off the car, are long over. But those memories of having done so plenty of times are with me, and they stretch all the way back to my adolescence.

We didn’t get a lot of “snow days” when I was a kid, but we got a few. These were never causes for celebration for me because I was expected to shovel our driveway. I’m not talking about a little eight-to-ten feet long piece of asphalt that leads to a garage, like so many folks have in towns and cities everywhere. The driveway of my life from the time I was about eight was a very long country lane. The thing resembled a high-top boot, complete with a heel—so my mother could drive in, steer to the right at the end, then back up, and drive forward. About 120 feet long in all, this was the safest driveway ever, allowing one to never have to back out onto a busy road.

Good news for any drivers at our house; bad news for the low-on-the-food-chain shoveler, which was me.

There was one time that I do recall fondly, though. I was about twelve or thirteen and had decided to get to the job early. I’d started to shovel at the road, working my way in, and after a couple of hours, I maybe had about five feet done. Then I looked up and our neighbor, the man who owned the quarry, came down the road in his big, beautiful loader. He stopped and confirmed with me how my mother liked the driveway plowed, then told me to stand aside, and proceeded to accomplish the feat in about five minutes and, of course, free of charge. He then left me and drove to the next neighbor’s house. In an hour or two, he’d cleared every driveway on our road.

That was the sweetest gift I’d been given to that point in my life.

As I look out the window this morning, all I see are grey skies and wet everything. But not a bit of snow. I do feel bad for the kids who received snow boards or toboggans for Christmas and have this week off school. Also, I’m sorry for those folks who plow snow in the winter to help make ends meet.

It’s just one more bit of proof that nothing in life is either all good, or all bad.

Not even this cold that has a good strong grip on me.

It began before Christmas, seemingly out of nowhere. It just grabbed a hold of me and so far, is not wanting to let go. A friend asked me if I’d gotten my flu shot, and of course, I replied that I had, indeed. I am completely up to date with all vaccinations—Covid, flu, and even the one for pneumococcal pneumonia.

This isn’t covid, or the flu, or anything else but a good old-fashioned cold. I have brewed my “hot lemon” concoction and have been sipping it (water + lemon + orange; simmer briefly, and serve with honey and yes, at least a bit of Splenda because, well, lemon). I have been resting and doing nothing. The resting instead of writing is mostly because my brain doesn’t want to think about writing, so I rest it, too. And I read—some of the books in my Lusty, Texas collection so at least I can have my brain in the general area of where it needs to be for when this cold ends and I can get back to work.

David has a cold, too. But his isn’t as bad as mine, this time. We’re kind of taking care of each other at the moment, which is our usual M.O. In the aftermath of that bone-in ham we had at Christmas and even with this cold, a week ago I plopped that bone into a pot of water, and the next day made his favorite 13 bean soup. He loves comfort food with his colds.

And, in return, he’s been fetching and carrying for me: coffee, water, and hot lemon, and anything else I need.

My cold is moving on, slowly, and I’ve decided my best bet is to try and see if there are a few scraps of patience I can hang onto until it’s completely gone. In the meantime, we spend our days side-by-side on our sofa/recliner, wearing puppies on top of our blankets, while I read from my now one-year-old, and he reads his brand-new iPad that the girls bought him for Christmas.

Comfy, with matching blankets and warm beverages and good books to read. Heaven, if you ask me—even if I do need a lot of tissues.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury


No comments:

Post a Comment