Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Pass the tissues and the lozenges....

 October 19, 2022


In mid March of 2020, David and I were having an in-depth conversation about, well, what else—Covid. At that point we didn’t really know anything much about it. Being over 65, and having health issues, we were scared. We knew history, and we had known about the influenza pandemic of the early 1900s. We knew that millions of people had died, and while it was true that medical science had made huge advances since then, we also knew that so, too, had the speed with which humans interacted.

We of course didn’t know how long this new pandemic would last, but we kind of scoffed at the idea that just 15 days staying home and masking and keeping distance when we went out and washing hands would be enough. In fact, we shook our heads listening to all the people who thought this would be over “before you know it!” As days passed and we learned more, we were both comforted and concerned. When it came to our guesses about how long this would last, we weren’t thinking then in terms of weeks or months. We thought then in terms of years. And we also thought it could very well be that this new pandemic would turn endemic. That, like the flu, it might always be with us if we all didn’t hang tight and do the right thing together. We knew then as we know now, that having a vaccine would be our best, and greatest hope.

Now, we never once considered the possibility that so many people, all of whom had been praying right from the beginning for a vaccine, would not only reject one when it came, but would spread lies about it being fatal, and then would refuse to wear masks on top of that. The “I don’t want to, and you can’t make me crowd!” has to be the most surprising element in this entire drama for us; and I personally believe that those people have played a huge role in ensuring that Covid-19 has, indeed, become something we’ll have to live with forever. But back in the spring we never once considered that would truly be so.

But there was one thing we did think about, and talked about, as we were and are both of us of the same mind. This conversation occurred near the end of 2020.

Me: “You know, if folks are good enough at all their precautions, I bet you we’ll see a real lessening of the spreading of colds and flus, at least for this year, as a bonus.”

David: “That could very well be. Until folks get to the point where they feel it’s safe to not mask or distance and then those colds and flus will be back with a vengeance.”

Talk about prescient words!

About three weeks ago, on our “nanny Tuesday”, our two great-grandchildren who are our daughter’s grandbabies, came for supper as usual. The lad, who was about to turn 8 had a cold. They’d been testing him, of course, and it was only a cold and not Covid. We didn’t think anything of it, either. Kids get colds. And then a handful of days later David came down with a cold.

It started out as an ordinary cold, but it didn’t take long to morph from ordinary to monster. He had a bit of a fever for a couple of days, and no, he didn’t test positive for Covid, either. But it was the worst cold he’s had in probably a decade or more. It went a familiar route: sore throat first, then sniffles, then a cough. Not a constant cough, but one that would erupt a few times a day and be fierce. And at times, it was a dry cough, too. His throat and belly suffered from the coughing.

I did snoop around online and I learned that the Rhinovirus which is the common cold has indeed been back with a vengeance and is hitting hard. Apparently, as it used to be, we had cold and flu season, and folks would get colds, and they would retain some immunity in the aftermath, enough that colds tended not to leave you being rode hard and put up wet. That knowledge did give me some ease of mind.

David’s cold is just tapering in him now. He only coughs about once a day now. And now, of course, he’s passed it on to me.

No sore throat here, no fever, either. Sniffles, yes, and a cough. And while my throat isn’t aching, my voice went from alto to bass to yesterday, something just above a whisper. While David has been medicating with specific cold and sinus medication, I am relegated to my hot lemon water with honey concoction and trying to get more rest.

At one point David looked at me—before I indeed had the cold—and said: “if you get this, it could kill you.” He was legitimately quite worried about that fact—but I wasn’t.

Now, it’s been a rough cold for me, no question. I was a bit achy and while I don’t cough as much as David did, I still coughed, but only sometimes. Didn’t have much energy and would doze a bit in my recliner, which I don’t always do. Today I feel a bit better than yesterday, and I believe that in another few days, I should be mostly over it.

I knew the question would come, and I thought about my response to him when it did. And finally, last night, he asked it.

David: How come your cold wasn’t as bad as mine?

Me: Well, it might have something to do with the fact that I don’t think that potato chips are a fit breakfast food.

I do tend to eat healthier than he does, especially when it comes to fruits and veggies. And all other things being more or less equal, I do believe that makes a difference.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment