Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Autumnal thoughts...

 September 28, 2022


In the olden days, when our mornings consisted of getting up to a 5:00 a.m. alarm, rushed coffee and showers and then long drives to work, there were always those two times a year. At some point in the autumn and then again in early spring, we would have the car’s heater on, full blast, in the morning, and then the air conditioner on, full blast, at the end of the workday for the drive home.

Now of course, we no longer go to work outside our home. Some days, we don’t do much work inside of it, either. But that cycle of living that I noted above really hasn’t changed so much as it has adapted. We still have those two times a year, you see.

On Friday when we awoke, I immediately felt chilly. I checked, and the temperature showed as 61 degrees, Fahrenheit. Yes, I know we’re Canadian but David and I both prefer to see the Fahrenheit scale, as we relate to that much easier, no thinking involved.  And although I knew it was chilly and felt it was chilly, I didn’t do anything about it…for about two hours. The reason for this is quite simple.

I have found in my later years not to think that room is cold or hot, but that I am cold or hot. Just because I feel cold doesn’t necessarily mean the room is cold. It could mean my own senses are experiencing yet another elderly moment. It was likely, I thought on Friday, that the temperature would begin to rise.

However, after nearly two hours, I went into the living room where our “Star Trek Control Center”, aka the thermostat, is located. It still read a chilly 61 degrees. That’s not anyone’s idea of “freezing”, but I had taken all I could. To the sound of the sigh of relief from my husband, who was sitting but two feet from me in his own office area, I put the heat on, with the convenient touching of a few “buttons”.

I have offered to show David how to perform this miracle himself. He is perfectly free to decide to turn on the furnace if he’s uncomfortable. However, he has declined. The matter is not so much that he wants to be waited upon as that he doubts that he will remember, if shown, how to do it. Also, the device is quite advanced and after looking at it, and watching me, he announced that he’d likely end up breaking it.

Now, there is one good thing about being a bit chilly through the day: it’s not difficult to know what to make for supper. I pulled a frozen piece of beef from the freezer, and we had beef with gravy on Friday night. Since the cold spell continued on, more or less, I made a hearty cream of potato soup on Sunday.

I do like the crispness of autumn mornings. I used to look forward to nice days in late September, days that were sunny but still had that bite in the air. Those were the perfect days to go outside and get my gardens ready for winter—or just go for a nice walk. I miss those days because I always felt so invigorated when I came in from exercising outside.

These days, I content myself with sitting in that crisp clean air when it arrives, even though it usually means I’m a bit sorer in the evenings. I also enjoy having the doors and windows opened for a while, inviting the outside inside to freshen the environment in my house.

I’ll be hitting the local farm markets in the next few days, searching for some fresh picked crops to process and freeze. It’s what I can do to support and care for my family. And actually, I think that principle is key.

I can’t do the sort of things I used to do, but that doesn’t mean I’m giving up on doing anything. It means being open to doing what I can, and even if some of the ways I spend my time these days seem to amount to not much from the outside, there is one thing that holds true. I have not handed in my notice and then curled up into the fetal position, either actually or metaphorically, waiting for the end to come. I keep my mind active; I keep myself active, and I continue to be grateful for every blessing, every day.

I plan to wring out every bit of living from my days given to me that I can, even if my hands are no longer capable of a good, strong twist on the rag.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury

 


No comments:

Post a Comment