Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Gloves in August and other trivia...

 August 31, 2022


I used to keep a pair of gloves on the microwave, in my kitchen. These are the kind of gloves that you can purchase at the dollar store, just simple cloth gloves one would wear in winter. And I kept them there because if I needed to dig through my freezer for something, which is also in my kitchen, I could use those gloves and save my hands from the cold.

And whenever my daughter would do a deep clean of the kitchen, she would put those gloves…. Somewhere else. Even after I explained to her there was a really good reason for them to be there, and that I wasn’t just an old woman on the road to dementia. And, yes that was a little passive aggressive, I admit it. Anyway, when I looked last Saturday morning, there once more were no gloves on the microwave. Which was why, on this past weekend, the part of the task called “reorganizing the freezer” that took the longest to perform was finding a pair of gloves to wear in August.

In the days when I had two of my grandchildren early morning a lot of days before school, I used to keep a plethora of these gloves. I kept them in a bag that hung from the coat hooks in my entrance hall. Those two grandkids were forever losing their gloves, and so in September, as soon as those gloves became available at the dollar store, I would purchase a dozen pairs….and would likely have to get more just after Christmas, too. But this was at the dollar store so not a great expense.

Also generally stocked in that area of my entrance hallway: umbrellas. Yup, they’d take them to school, and then home again, but those bumbershoots never generally found their way back here. But I digress.

I finally checked one of my coat pockets, and really, that should have been the first place I looked. Ah, getting older. The mind doesn’t always work as consistently well as one would like.

Monday night gave us a fierce if short thunderstorm. A close lightning strike reset our television, something that would have been a cause for concern before this whole TV via the internet system we have now. I knew that even if my television was out due to the storm and stayed out, the program I wanted to watch would still be recorded. Life is so much better when you don’t sweat the small stuff.

Time moves so quickly. Some days can seem long, but the weeks just zoom past. Here we are, the last day of August already! And yet, it has seemed like a very long summer. I think having so many days that were hot and muggy added to that impression. When you spend your time annoyed with how things are, they seem to stick around longer.

Another digression: I’ve also discovered that’s how pain works, too. The more I focus on it, the worse it seems. Keeping my mind active and busy with other things is one of the most important analgesics out there. And you don’t need a prescription, or the attendant nosy pharmacist, which is bonus.

Next week the school buses return to our neighborhood. Our house is on a corner, so it’s no surprise that we have a school bus stop close by. My daughter’s bigger dogs—if I’ve neglected to ease that one recliner back a bit from the window—bark like crazy when they get up on the back of that chair, nose that curtain aside, and see the group of children gathering there each day. Because let’s be honest. Even those chihuahuas of hers know that so many kids in one place can’t possibly be good.

Next weekend our daughter and I are going to go shopping to pick up a few school supplies for her grandchildren, and to acquire a few more items on our preparedness list. Most often, if two people leave this house to go out, it’s daddy and daughter. They like to seek out garage sales, or visit different stores, and of course, have breakfast out. I don’t often feel left out when these outings occur. Nine times out of ten will I choose to be home, rather than to go out. But, ah, there is that tenth time!

I would rather not have the constant serenading of dogs when daddy and daughter sojourn forth, however. Aside from preferring to be home, I have also always maintained that silence truly is golden.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury


No comments:

Post a Comment