Wednesday, June 29, 2022

A truly joyous occasion....

 June 29, 2022


Well, that was a very fast month. Tomorrow is the last day of June already, and the next day is Canada Day! We’ve had a few days, here and there, that I could have sworn were much better suited to mid-August than June. But who am I to judge? Mother Nature will give us what she will, and she certainly has no regard for my opinion on the matter. And she would point out that those days were very close to being summer days—officially, that is.

I’ve had two very heartfelt outings this month and I count that fact as a blessing. I know I can’t spend my whole life staying home. And to be clear, it’s not the attending of these functions that I mind so much. It’s the preparation for doing so, most especially these days, the mental preparation. I am stepping out on faith, but I cannot deny that to do so means overcoming a wee bit (well, maybe a wee bit more than a wee bit) of anxiety to do so.

Yes, I’ve taken two initial doses of Moderna’s Covid vaccine, as well as a first and then, near the end of May, a second booster. Yes, if they announce in November/December or anytime that I should get another one, you can bet I’ll be rolling up my sleeve and getting in line. And yes, I absolutely do believe in the science. I understand that the purpose of the vaccine is to protect against severe illness and death, not to prevent getting the virus at all. Which is why I am a wee bit more than a wee bit anxious going out to gatherings of more than a small handful of people. I understand that I can get the virus; I need to keep my faith that if I do, I will not suffer a severe case of it.

We attended our grandson’s wedding last Friday, and it was a truly joyous occasion for us both. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We were honored to sit in the front row, and to accompany the wedding party and the parents of the celebrants to the photo venue.

Through the course of the evening, it was wonderful to have impressed upon us anew just what a good sport and wise man is our grandson. You see, our new granddaughter is a Newfoundlander by birth, and her father, a  man who was born on “the rock”, saw to it his new son-in-law was “screeched in”. Some of you may know what that is. The rest of you really should see the play, “Come From Away”. (This play was live captured in honor of the twentieth anniversary of 9/11 and is available on Apple +).

After the meal came the first dance, and how lovely the newlyweds looked together, and how very happy! And I was again honored when, after the groom’s dance with his mother, the DJ called for other mothers and sons to take to the floor, and my son collected me for a dance.

I can’t boogie, but I managed a halfway decent slow two-step.

We humans love weddings because they are a beginning, and beginnings bring hope, don’t they? And weddings have been with us since Biblical times, so there’s that sense of continuity that we all need. And we especially need that in times that otherwise are tumultuous.

I used my walker at the wedding—for the walking from parking lot to chapel, from chapel to photo venue, then back to the dining room where the reception was being held. Yes, I didn’t try to rush, I walked a bit slower than I had on that first spin I took it out for. The wedding and reception and the photo venue were all at one basic location, which was amazing, but it was a very spread-out space. And the meal? Absolutely five-star cuisine. There was also an open bar, and who the heck does that anymore?

All in all, we had a wonderful time. Since it was a busy and yes exhausting day—I had gotten my hair done for the first time in about three years that morning—how very fortunate for us that we have absolutely nothing on our agendas for the next day. Nor the day after that.

We might be able to move and function by Canada Day.

To my Canadian friends, have a Happy Canada Day. And to my American friends, I hope you have a Happy Fourth of July, or Happy Independence Day, how ever you prefer to call it.

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment