Wednesday, August 18, 2021

 August 18, 2021


We used to call the middle of August the “dog days of summer”. I never knew what that meant, growing up. Being a somewhat linear thinker at times, I made simple connections. I figured this time of the year was called the dog days of summer because this was the time of year you would sweat like a dog, it was so hot.

But while I claim to have been a linear thinker as a teenager/young woman, I wasn’t very good at it. Because dogs sweat through their tongues. It was hot enough some Augusts to have your tongue hanging out and to want to pant. But I can’t say with any real assurance that was something that I did, necessarily.

Now I know they’re called “dog days” because this is the time of year that the sun is in the same region of the sky as is Sirius, the brightest star and a part of the constellation of Canis Major, the Greater Dog.

Huh, who knew, right?

Well, it has been hot a lot of days, and I am being a bit of a stubborn old woman, but I don’t see any real reason why I have to subject myself to that. The heat of outside, that is. I have gone out and sat on my front porch for a few minutes most days. I have stepped into my back yard and looked over the produce growing like gangbusters in our table gardens.

And the coleus! Holy cow, I have never seen that plant grow the way it’s growing in our back yard this year. My daughter planted a line of it in the very back of the lower yard, in a narrow garden we put in against the retaining wall comprised of old railroad ties. In front and sort of between the coleus, she planted some impatiens. She’s reported to me that they are now gone, completely edged out by the taller, broader, leafier plants.

It's hard to mind, because they are beautiful, and this year so lush. But because she said that I did wonder, so I went out to the back yard and took a picture. I could see three surviving impatiens, and all things considered, that’s pretty good.

Lately, I’ve been quipping to both my husband and my daughter that I never, ever intended to live in a rain forest. This year, with the heat and the near constant rain, it feels to me as I imagine it would feel to be in a rain forest. And yes, perhaps I am overstating things a shade (and pardon the pun). But seriously, I can only report how it feels to me, and this year, the out-of-doors at this point in time does not feel like a place that appeals to me at all. It does not feel like a place I want to be.

So here I am, in the house, laughing at myself because I am cool, and sometimes a bit too cool. I go into my living room to spend some time each day in my recliner with my legs up, because it helps my arthritis (allegedly). And because we have the a/c on, and it causes a draft as it blows out the ducts, I have a blanket over my legs to protect them. And because along with that, I have a sweater on to protect my arms and shoulders from that same draft, I now present the portrait of the quintessential old woman, in summer: huddling under a blanket, looking old and cold.

Sometimes, friends, I just crack myself right up.

I know I’m not really entitled to call myself an old woman. I am, after all, only 67. And while yes, it really is the mileage and not the years, lately I’ve slowed my pace so as not to accumulate much in the way of mileage. I spend my days, for the most part, doing what I want to do. Lucky for me I don’t tend to want to do anything out in left field, or off the charts.

Arthritis doesn’t tend to do well in either of those locations or situations.

I will take a moment here to acknowledge that I don’t for the most part much care for the fact that this affliction seems to more and more and with each passing day define me. I am in a great deal of pain for a lot of the time, most days, but I keep my mind focused on other things. Sometimes I do difficult puzzles on this computer of mine because that helps get my mind off the pain. I refuse to take any more medication than is absolutely necessary and I use a topical balm that has CBD oil in it, as that helps to take the edge off, too. But it is what it is, and while I still push myself, the zenith of my arc of accomplishment is shrinking.

Getting older is not for the faint of heart.

I worked outside of the home for about thirty years of my life, earned a living and raised my family. I’ve given to others when I could, volunteered when I felt compelled, and have tried, in all circumstances, to be kind to other people. I’m no saint, far from it. I’ve always had a temper but have not always necessarily known how to use it to best advantage. To those who have known me for a time and will dispute that last point, I should in all fairness point out that my fuse is rather long. But long, in my case most certainly does not equal infinite.

When I was younger and would hear others complain about those who were older, doing this or that or even, heaven help us all, the other thing, I would be consistent in my response. I would declare that senior citizens had paid their dues, built this country we are blessed to live in, and should therefore damn well be able to do whatever the hell they choose to do.

In all the years since first uttering that opinion to this moment, that is one of the few things in my life upon which I have never changed my mind.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury



 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment