Wednesday, June 2, 2021

 June 2, 2021


I have a question that’s been rattling around in my brain for a long time, now. The noise it’s been making has been constant. And it’s a question I would very much like the answer to:

When did it become acceptable to lie?

I’m not that naïve. I know that some people are liars—to the point that they don’t know how to be any other way. That has always been how it was, and in my younger days those people had few friends, because most others avoided them. Lying, in those days, was unacceptable.

I know that most people, myself included, have told lies on occasion. I don’t lie as a rule, because every time I do, I feel like crap. I feel guilty and want to curl up into a ball and hide somewhere. And usually, my lie is what I’ll call a victimless lie. Something that I will say to someone when the bare-naked truth would only wound them.  I still feel guilty, though, because a lie is still a lie. And seriously, as I’ve moved through life, lying has become my total hot button issue. There is nothing I hate more than lying or liars. But I seem to be in the minority there.

Because lately, I’ve been watching the news and hearing people tell absolute lies and then they behave as if they’ve told the truth. There seems to be a theory that is on the verge of becoming like a natural law, and it is this: if you tell a lie often enough, in time people will believe it. Hell, in time the liar will believe it. More and more people believe that lie that has been told to the point that even the ones who started it act as if they believe it is the truth. It’s a kind of brainwashing, I think. And the people who believe the lies are the ones whose brains are being rewired.

I have a second question. Is there a “fix” for the growing mass of people who believe these lies? And folks, these aren’t even lies where the actual truth is difficult to discern. These are lies easily proven as such. Theories already debunked. And yet, the deluded continue to believe.

I’m reminded of that horrible cult that was in the news back in 1978. The People’s Temple was at first a religious organization founded in Indiana in 1955, then moved to California in 1965. In 1974 the cult moved to Guyana.  The leader of this cult had so enthralled the membership, that when he ordered them to drink what they knew was poison-laced Kool-Aid, they did just that. The cult leader died by shooting himself, after more than 900 of his followers were dead from the poison they ingested—children included.

I realize that this comparison might be way over the top. But it was what came into my mind as I was thinking about how some people are so fanatical when it comes to their belief in lies and their mindless devotion to certain liars.

And I have a third and final (for today) question.

These liars, those who are parents, what do they do when their children lie to them? How can they justify punishing them for “bearing false witness” when they themselves are living, and regurgitating their own lies day after day after day?

I don’t know where all this wholesale lying that I’m seeing and hearing on my television is going to put us. But I’m tempted to think the best solution, short term, is to close my ears to their sound.

And that is something that I, along with everyone else, must never, ever do.

Hear it. Hate it. Call it out!

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury

 


No comments:

Post a Comment