Wednesday, March 17, 2021

 March 17, 2021


A long time ago when I was the mother of one, I had a habit late at night, when David and my son were upstairs and in bed. I would be downstairs in the “den” and I would release all my tension and stress with music. I would play my records very loud indeed, and I would sing along. Maybe “sing’ is too tepid a word. Perhaps “belt” would be better. I knew the words and the timing, and my voice was pretty good back then, to my own ears.

My singing voice is pretty a thing of the past, now but man, I could belt out Don’t Rain on My Parade and give Ms. Streisand a run for her money. At least in my mind, I could. And the most miraculous thing of all was that neither husband nor son ever woke up during these jam sessions of mine. I didn’t preform this personal concert every night, but when I did, when it was over, I was able to go to bed feeling much more peaceful and could happily join the chorus of those slumbering on the second floor.

This past coping tool, one of several I will confess, was something I just remembered recently. The memory was triggered when I listened to a song I hadn’t heard in a long time. Strange, the way memory works. This wasn’t a song I would have belted out in those days, this blast from the past that I heard recently; the song hadn’t yet been written then.

Music on its own is a powerful medium for memory and emotions. I’ve seen videos showing the way that some people who have suffered brain injuries receive music therapy. I personally know one person who suffers from Parkinson’s Disease and dementia and can’t speak well. Yet turn on the music and he doesn’t miss a beat.

For my own part, while I sometimes have trouble finding a word, or recalling a name, I, too, can come up with words I haven’t sung in years when I hear a song play. I love music and have, over my lifetime, probably had a few hundred songs that I have named as my “favorite song of all time”.

I no longer need any of my old coping tools as I get used to being a senior citizen. Well, beyond the most basic for me of course, and that’s my writing. But for the most part, and all things being equal, at this point in my life I’m able to roll with the punches that life is famous for. For the last couple of decades, I’ve done my best to appreciate each day, and to give thanks for every blessing. I’m keenly aware that I’m lucky to have a level of comfort in which to live. We’re not rich by any means, but generally speaking, we have what we need and even some of what we want and really, that is a huge blessing. One I do not for one single minute take for granted.

In this life we can do our best to plan for the future. And that can be a challenge because of course, mostly the future is an unknown quantity. As many wise folks have observed, we really only ever have the moment in which we find ourselves. We only have now, today, this instant. We make our plans and fill our calendars where we can with places to go and people to see, and things to do but at any given moment, everything can change.

And after the last year and a bit, don’t we all know that fact really, really well?

If anyone was wondering if there was ever going to be an end to this pandemic-living-paradigm, fear not. Provided most of the population gets vaccinated, and folks keep up the safety protocols until they do, we will put this behind us. We still don’t know how long the vaccines will last. Six months? A year? Maybe more? No one can yet say. Lately I’ve been hearing speculation that an annual booster shot might be in the cards for at least a decade. Really, the answer to this question at the moment is that we have to wait and see.

Once we have that information, we’ll fashion our new normal. And if you’re having any doubts on your ability to do just that, think on this. Everyone wants life to return to normal. Some are getting really antsy for that to happen. But there are a lot of people who are becoming a little nervous as the prospect of post-pandemic life approaches. Psychologists are preparing for the next phase of anxiety they see coming. Soon, people will be able to go out and have dinner, or go to the movies, or go bowling, or do any number of things they used to do. And some of them are maybe even more than nervous about this prospect, they’re scared.

Because isolation and masks and handwashing has become normal for them already. And once more, change is approaching.

And change means we’ll have one more normal to get used to. Again.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment