Wednesday, January 13, 2021

 January 13, 2020


I was held in shock as I watched the events of last Wednesday. I had worried, after posting my essay, that I might have been overstating things, that my words and the emotion they expressed might be seen as being overly dramatic. The part of that essay I’m thinking of is this:

     What we’re witnessing isn’t something as on-the-surface laudable as an attempt to stand up     for justice. At best, it’s a political stunt.

   At worst, and really, in truth, it is an attempt to subvert democracy, pure and simple. What’s planned to happen today in the United States Congress is not the peaceful protest of men and women standing firmly in the light of righteous principle.

   It’s an attempt by people with no morals, and certainly no love of the U.S. Constitution, to highjack a nation to feed their own greedy political ambitions.”

Those words, written the day before they were posted, for the most part, proved truer than I wanted to see.

In the aftermath of the attack on the Capitol, there’s been an earthquake registering 2.2 on the Richter scale caused by all the people scrambling to try and cover their asses.

I’ve been hearing a lot of caveats to the violence from the promoters of lies. For the record, there were no “antifa” or “BLM” protestors who were causing the damage while the saintly MAGA people fought to defend the place. That was a lie that is actually gaining traction and I dare anyone to show me a clip of that happening. Silly me, wanting bald-faced liars to provide proof!

In fact, a statement was released several days before by the leaders of BLM which is an actual group (as opposed to ANTIFA which is not), saying they were not going to be anywhere in the vicinity of the U. S. Capitol. And for those silly MAGA people who claim otherwise….well, never mind.

Truth needs to be spoken. Senator Romney said that in his remarks Wednesday night, and he is absolutely right. All those in the congress who voted to overturn a legitimate election need to assert that there was no wide-spread fraud in the November election. Period. Before there can be reconciliation, there must be confession and accountability.

It was several years ago when David and I stayed in Arlington for a few days and took a cab into D.C. each morning, to tour the White House, the Capitol, The National Cemetery, the Vietnam Memorial, and the Lincoln Memorial. In the Capitol building, we were even shown into the gallery – congress was in session—and we also got to see the “old Senate Chamber”. We were filled with a sense of reverence and being under the capitol dome was an experience neither of us will ever forget, no matter how old we get. This was in the 1990s.

We went to the archives and saw the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence under green glass!

We’d had to get tickets for the White House and the Capitol and I think the Archives, ahead of time, and being Canadian, that was very understandable. The security was tight, as it should have been.

Last Wednesday, we were heart-sick watching the lack of respect, the lack of morals, the careless disregard for all that those so-called patriots claim to hold dear. I began writing this essay several days later, and I still feel sick over what I saw.

I stayed up late to watch the proceedings when the joint session resumed—which in my opinion was the very best middle finger the congress could have given all those insurrectionists—seditionists—who’d tried to tear down what they could not even understand.

I’m not a Democrat. I’m not a Republican. I have admired politicians from both those parties, and I have condemned politicians from both those parties as well.

I am a human being. I believe in democracy, and democratic republics. I believe in people. I believe that love is stronger than hate, and that we’re all here on this earth to help each other. I believe that truth is, and that’s something I never imagined I would ever have to say.

I have a long-time friend who lives in Pennsylvania who has believed for some time now that a second civil war in the U. S, is inevitable.

As I have since I first heard him say those words, I pray every day that what he believes will happen, will never come to fruition.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment