Wednesday, December 18, 2019

December 18, 2019

Back in the spring, in anticipation of our daughter and her chihuahuas moving in with us, my husband did me a great kindness. He installed two doors, one in each of the doorways of my office. The rule was made, that if the doors were closed, then a knock needed to be used before entering.

We knew that the dogs would have free rein of the house. We also knew and have since had confirmed through experience that the little beggars are all emotionally needy. They want to be held and petted a lot. David’s concern was that I had the freedom to be alone in my office so I could better focus on writing.

So far, I’ve only needed to close my doors a couple of times for respite from needy dogs; for the most part, when their mommy is at work in the morning, they are in the living room, on one recliner or the other, sleeping under blankets. Some days, we almost forget they’re here.

But after last week and the several days of very cold weather we had, I am glad to claim another great benefit of having doors that close in my office: warmth.

I have an electric fireplace in this office of mine. It is complete with both a light that truly simulates the appearance of flames, and a heater. And with both of my office doors closed and that heater on? Mamma, my office gets warm!

This room which houses my office has always been one of the coldest in the house, because two of its walls are outside walls, and there is no insulation in them. There was a day last week that the temperature outside was in the low single digits. The cold literally pulsed off the wall in front of me. I was very grateful to be able to close the doors and turn on that fireplace. Grateful, and toasty.

I know it’s early—a whole week to the day before Christmas—but I think it’s possible that I’m as ready for the day—the season—as I possibly could be. I still have to purchase my special “Christmas” groceries, and this I will do on Friday. 

For example, I’ll need to get some sweet potatoes, and I have to buy a bone-in-ham, because David wanted a goose for Christmas dinner, and he and I are the only ones who like goose. There is also one other thing I have to get that is an absolute must.

About four years ago I stumbled upon a recipe for a “warm crab dip”. I love shellfish. Lobster, crab, shrimp, scallops. Yum, yum. Today, shrimp is actually a lot less expensive than it was, say, twenty-five years ago. But crab is still costly, if you want the real thing, and I do, for the warm crab dip. Now, that wasn’t a necessity for the first couple of years. I would make that dip if I could, but because David didn’t like it, it wasn’t a priority. If it’s something that only I like, I don’t have a problem telling myself no. Then, two years ago, my second daughter dropped in when I was about to indulge. She saw the dish and asked what it was. Of course, I told her and offered her some crackers to try it out. After that first taste, she dug right in with me and it was a Zen moment for us both.

Since that time, on a regular basis, she asks me if I’m going to make that crab dip. Which I happily do each Christmas season, and I pay for the ingredients with my grocery store points.

So, other than purchasing some groceries, we’re ready for Christmas. I even went to a mall the day before yesterday! I did, and of course I used my scooter. I haven’t been to a mall for a very long time. I won’t count the day we went to try out the Casper beds early in November, because that was in, to the store, test mattress, buy bed, and leave. Not just leave the store but leave the mall, too. There was no real need for us to do that as we both had our scooters with us and hey, retired people here. Nothing but time on our hands!

But my husband doesn’t like malls. I like malls, so this past Monday I took my daughter with me. She puts my scooter together for me quite easily. (Me, not so much. I’ve tried. I need to practice doing that, but it seems heavier some days.) We went to a large mall in Hamilton, because among other things we needed to get, they have a Cinnabon store there. I enjoyed that trip a great deal, looking at all the sparkly and the shiny. The only negative thing was that it was very, very people-y!

So, let’s see, gifts for great-grandbabies, check. Money to stuff in cards, check. Grocery list made, check.

Christmas tree up and decorated? Sadly, no. This year, once more, we won’t be putting up our Christmas tree. The renovations are still underway; two-thirds of the living room has been painted, and more than half the floor is done. This week, and next, the work will continue. There won’t be any little ones here to ooh and ahh over our four-foot eleven tree and its miniature ornaments anyway. 

My husband and I have an agreement. I told him I wouldn’t complain about no tree this year, so as not to interfere with his renovation work. As long as he understood that he could not use this year of “no Christmas tree” to promote the same policy in the years to come. I’ve kept my side of the bargain and I am certain that he will keep his.

David and I wish all of you a wonder-filled Christmas flush with family and friends, laughter and love!

Love,
Morgan
http://www.morganashbury.com
http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury

No comments:

Post a Comment