Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Unplugging...

 August 26, 2026


As I look around me, I can’t help but notice how challenging life is becoming for us all. Partly, and most absolutely, the environment—in any definition of that word you choose—is less easy going than it once was. Not only are there more physical upheavals (weather, wildfires and violence), but we are also bombarded with more information, more noise than we ever were in times past.

I tried to think of something I could liken the level of this seemingly constant barrage of stimulus to. The only thing in my lived experience was the few times as a young woman when I would go to a bar that had music videos playing on large screens at full blast, while everyone around you shouted in the (futile) hope of being heard.

The constant broadcasting of information is like that. People today seem anxious to unplug and go off the grid, desperate for a break—to disconnect from society. And they spend a lot of money to do just that.

Disconnecting from society didn’t used to be called that. It was simply alone time. You turned off the television and the radio. Unplugged the phone if you had to. And there, in the comfort of your own home you were “disconnected from society”. You could have that necessary alone time.

We all need time to be alone, to be able to power down our thinking, our coping, our emotional responses. We need to breathe. We need to relax. We need to be able to place ourselves in a state of grace so that we can cherish the sound of the ticking of the clock on the wall.

Oh dear. I just realized that last metaphor may not be as universal as it used to be.

The noise of social media is more harmful than we know. I’ve come to that conclusion. Social media can be a useful tool. In the right hands, it can even help save lives. But we must always remember that we are the users and it is the tool. We’ve given this particular form of media a kind of mission creep within the boundaries of our lives. Instead of using the thoughts and ideas of others to simply inform us, we far too trustingly have given those voices too much authority in our minds. We’ve let it replace our own sense of self, our own moral compasses, as well as our own common sense.

Even when I was young, aka the old days, the saying was: “The only problem with common sense is it's not very common.”

Another expression I would sometimes hear growing up? “If your friends jumped off the cliff would you jump off it, too?” Now, setting aside the humanitarian gut instinct of wanting to save said friends, the answer was always no. Because in those days the thought of needing to save anyone presupposed that those in need of rescue weren’t stupid enough to jump off that cliff in the first place. That saying meant this: you’re responsible for all of your actions, so stop and think first.

Recently I’ve been using this noodle of mine to better advantage when it comes to social media. And by social media, I mean the ones I use regularly: Face Book and YouTube. I do have Instagram, but I really don’t know how to use it very well. I used to have Twitter, but it died, the first social media platform to be torn apart by wild, ravenous beasts. I do not have Tik-Tok or whatsit, because there’s only so much modern technology I can cram into my brain.

So, using my noodle…..when I get postings from “friends” on my Face Book feed and it’s outside my own boundaries of decency, I unfriend whoever sent it to me. As for YouTube, I’m careful about what I will watch. Some videos have a hook they don’t honor. I stay away from anything that is obvious misinformation, or that intones hatred—and I use the discretion that I’ve been gifted with as my filter. I prefer uplifting messages, especially the rescue of animals or humans by random people. Because I have come to the conclusion that there are two kinds of people one meets via social media, and on YouTube, especially.

Extraordinary people who in the course of their lives have achieved much good; and ordinary people who, when placed in extraordinary circumstances, rise to the occasion and thereby fill us with pride and gratitude.

And I am convinced of the fact, and pleased to announce, that the latter far outnumber the former, by a landslide.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment