Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Dripping eaves troughs, dripping nose...

 August 23, 2023


I’m in day five of a summer cold. On the first couple of days my ability to think was practically nonexistent. I had no focus, and while I do well dismissing arthritic pain most days, there was just no way I could dismiss the general “icky” feeling this cold has brought me.

Over the last few days, I have spent a bit more time in front of the television than is normal for me. The upside of this is that the constant presence of droning voices does wonders for my ability to doze off with impunity.

According to the weather network it’s planning to rain here all day—with a few thunder boomers thrown in for good measure. That doesn’t bother me overly much. I actually prefer, intellectually speaking, to be experiencing a gloomy weather day when I’m not feeling my best. It makes the whole, get comfy on the recliner, lay back and close your eyes if you want to routine seem completely justified.

That said, I should take issue with that science-based website, “the weather network”. It’s actually showing only a trace of rain expected until after 11 today. What we are experiencing right now is not a trace, it’s a deluge, and it has been for about twenty minutes. And we’re not supposed to have thunder until this afternoon, but those are boomers I am hearing at 9:50am.

I long for better accuracy in all mediums, but especially those that claim to be meteorological.

The rain is as good for our gardens as ever, and while we have harvested a few tomatoes, they are now taking their time turning red. Of course, we know that’s because the heat here has dissipated. I can’t find the wherewithal to really regret that. Not with so many people on this continent still being thrust into heatwave after heatwave. We’ve been quite a bit cooler here over the last few days, and that is something to be grateful for.  The tomatoes will eventually ripen. And for those that don’t, there’s newspaper to wrap them in.

I used that old hack last year and it worked out very well.

We’ve finished watching the last television series that we taped, just a week ago. There will be nothing more of interest in entertainment programming until the strikes are over. I truly hope that they’re settled fairly, and soon. They will be eventually, because no one is interested in permanently pulling the plug on the American entertainment industry.

Of course, I do realize that I could watch practically anything that I’ve never seen before, because I do have access to a few streaming services—but I’m picky when it comes to programmes that I invest my time in. I used to watch a lot of movies—we had a weekend movie habit when the kids were younger, and Blockbuster was in town. But I’m not into movies so much anymore. In most cases I would rather read, or write, a book.

But for the moment both of those beloved activities are on hold, because to do either requires focus, and that’s something I just don’t have in abundance now. This is why this week’s essay is a lot shorter than usual.

Hopefully next week I’ll be back to my usual overly-opinionated self. For now, take care, and God Bless.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment