Wednesday, November 17, 2021

 November 17, 2021


During the overnight hours on Sunday, we were supposed to get somewhere between ten and fifteen centimeters of snow (which is about three to six inches). When we awoke on Monday, there was maybe a half inch of snow on the lawns and the cars, but the roads were only wet. Well, except for right at the curbs. Because more leaves had dropped from the maple trees on the street, there was a slight accumulation of them against the edge of the sidewalk, and this of course made a nice receptive bed for the snow.

Our walnut tree is now completely naked of leaves. It is happily in sleep mode, or whatever it is that trees do in the cold to survive until the next spring.

When I was getting my second coffee on Monday morning, I picked up the long-handled ice-scraper with the brush on the end (remember that I mentioned to all y’all last week that I was going to ask my husband again to take it to the car, and which I did). I then took that snow and ice removal tool and put it right on my husband’s desk. He diverted his attention from the video he was watching on his computer, headphones firmly in place. And he grinned at me, and then went right back to his video.

And no, there wasn’t even anything sheepish or chagrinned in that grin at all.

It occurred to me as I headed back to my own desk in order to begin my writing day, that I really would have been just as far ahead to only have asked him a handful of times to take that scraper out to the car and then made that the end of things, entirely. What do I really care if it got out to the car or not? It probably will not ever be me who will have to use it to clear the snow and ice off the vehicle, anyway.

I guess old habits die hard. Or, in my case, I am suspecting that they will not die at all.

The electric fireplace in my office has been getting a workout the last week or so. I have it on, spitting out its warmth, for at least the first couple of hours each day. Once I feel warm enough that I know sweat will soon follow, I turn it off, to save both electricity and my sweat glands. But I will turn it on again if necessary. Provided that my office doors remain closed for the morning, I don’t need to turn the heater on for a second round.

Also on Monday, (after the ice scraper appeared on his desk), my husband decided it was a good time to do something else I had asked him to do a couple of times in the last few weeks. You see, last spring, when it became clear that I would no longer need my winter boots, he took them upstairs and put them someplace. Do I know where? No. And neither, apparently, did he. He looked upstairs, and then he came down, having decided that since he didn’t see them up there, they must not have been up there at all. He searched the bedroom, both my closet, and his. He searched in the entrance hall, where we do have a few pieces of footwear, including my older, brown suede winter boots that I will wear if necessary. They have been my back-up boots for several years now and I have worn them a handful of times. They’re not in really bad shape, but they’re not in the best condition, either. But in the case that my new boots get wet and cannot be worn for a time, they’ll do.

My new black boots were nowhere to be found.

My husband then informed me that I must have done something with those new boots because he couldn’t find them. I told him he was right; I had done something with them. I’d given them to him in the spring to take upstairs. So up he went again to look again, and since we’ve been married more than 49 years, I knew that at that point, he thought he was on a fool’s errand.

I am striving to be kinder so I will not make the obvious observation, here.

I texted my daughter and asked her if she knew where those boots were. She was upstairs in her bed-sitting room at the time. She replied that no, she did not. And then, unbeknownst to me, she opened her bedroom door and looked out to where she could see the rest of the upstairs including her father, and his version of looking for the boots. (I later confirmed what I already knew. He was simply standing in one spot and slowly turning in a circle, looking for them.)

Shortly after, he came down, a big smile on his face, my boots in his hand. He told me that they had been on a shelf and had somehow fallen behind something else and he just hadn’t seen them the first time he looked.

Of course, I thanked him for finding them. And I am not going to tell him that my daughter came down later and shared with me what had really happened.

The moment she opened her door and saw her dad standing there, “looking around” and looking befuddled, she glanced at one of two shelving units we have up there, used for storing things and asked him what that was, on the top shelf—in plain sight, waiting all by themselves, behind nothing.

Daughter said he has gotten a lot more creative in his combinations of cuss words. I guess that’s something, at least, to celebrate. And because I am being kinder, I won’t ever tell him of her ratting him out to me.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury

 


No comments:

Post a Comment