Wednesday, October 27, 2021

 October 27, 2021


It has been cold enough the last couple of days that I turned on the electric heater, one that’s disguised as a fireplace, which sits in my office. This room where I spend the better part of my day has two of its four walls as “outside” walls. This is an old house, more than a century old, and it has no proper insulation in these walls.

Even in the dead of winter it’s not usually too cold in my office. However, from mid September until May on any given day when there is a wind out of the north or north-east, that wind manages to penetrate the combination of plaster, lathing and aluminum siding.

While the “fireplace” that surrounds the heater is of a good size (standing about 4 feet tall and with a 14-inch-wide mantel on top), the heater itself is not very big. That’s okay, because this isn’t a big office, either. And I find that if I turn on my tower fan, and have it blow gently across the front of the fireplace where the heat comes out, well, the whole room warms up fairly quickly and fairly well. After an hour I generally turn the thing off, and remain comfortable for quite some time.

Outside my window, from what I can see of the outside around my very larger computer monitor, there are wet leaves everywhere. Some are still attached to the walnut tree, just waiting for us to clean up the ones already on the ground before they fall. However, the good news is that there are no more walnuts left to come down. Our daughter has gone back to parking in front of the house, because it has been cold and raining a great deal the last few days, and who wants to walk an extra half block in those conditions, when its not necessary?

Her diligence paid off and no falling walnuts landed on her brand new, pristine Ford Edge Titanium during the blessedly short season of nut-drop, so that’s something.

Because our daughter changed her eating habits and become vegan (well, she’s Vegan except for eating eggs and drinking milk) I am always looking for things I can make that she will enjoy. It’s been nine months now since she said goodbye to meat. Within two months of that change in diet, she was at the point where, if she accidentally ingested some beef grease—as happened once when she ordered a veggie burger at a burger place and they weren’t careful enough to cook it away from beef—then the result was she would feel sick pretty much for the rest of the night. She says she does feel better, overall, since she made the change in her diet. Our daughter is a very practical soul and will opt for the logical over the emotional every time.

I made a homemade vegetable soup on the weekend, which was a new soup to me, and it worked out well because it was gobbled down quickly. And then on Monday I made “meatloaf”, which seems to be this family’s favorite comfort food. Actually, I made two meatloaves. One for David and me with actual hamburger, and one for our daughter which had plant based “impossible burger” in it. Whenever I am preparing meat and meatless at the same time, I’m careful to use separate utensils so there is no cross contamination of the two. I do add the same nonmeat ingredients to her meat loaf as to I do to ours simply because when she was eating meat she really loved my meatloaf. She says hers is very good, and David loved the one I made for the two of us, so that was a success, overall. We have packages of mushroom gravy mix on hand now, because there are no meat products or by products in them, and it’s a gravy both daughter and daddy like.

It remains one of my purest pleasures in this life to cook food that my family loves to eat.

Sometimes, when I make supper, our daughter doesn’t want any of the several “plant based meat” she has on hand. So instead of one veggie with the potatoes or rice or pasta, I’ll make two veggies. These are on days when our daughter would have had an egg for breakfast or lunch, so it’s not a case of protein depravation for her. And she certainly doesn’t mind sharing the table with us when we do have meat. Now that I have a few dishes that I can make that we all three like that are meatless, supper time has smoothed out some for me. Of course, I can’t help but worry that our daughter may not be taking in enough protein. I just have to remind myself that she is a grown woman, and capable of monitoring that on her own.

As I look out at today’s somewhat pale dawn, I’m reminded that it's that time of year that tends to be wet and intermittently cold, when leaves litter the ground, covering grass and sidewalk, and what plants remain in the flower beds begin to die off.

It’s a time of transition, and a time when I become very conscious that life never really stays static for long. Everything always comes to pass.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury


No comments:

Post a Comment