Wednesday, March 3, 2021

 March 3, 2021


Winter is nearly over. But as I look out my office window (as best I can around my large computer screen) the sun is shining, and I see flashes of a deeper blue than I could see just a month ago. But as much as I relish the sunshine and slightly deeper hue of azure in the sky between the clouds, I remind myself that while March is the first month of spring, it is also the last month of winter. And winter, while being nearly over, can still bring us to our knees in March. And sometimes we’re gifted with an unanticipated and unappreciated encore performance in April or even early May.

I remind myself there’s a reason my mother never planted her veggie or flower gardens until after the 24th of May. That was the date she calculated when “all danger of frost was past”. When it came to gardening, my mother really did know best.

Despite all the technology we embrace in this day and age, and regardless of all the amazing modern amenities at our disposal, we humans are still inexorably tied to the natural world, aren’t we? Like the animals, we hunker down during the winter months, and tend to react viscerally to the pending arrival of spring.

Usually, once March arrives and gives us a sunny day or two, our sap begins to flow and our buds shiver in eagerness to emerge from our long winter’s dormancy. And it’s the same for the trees and the flowers, too.

One thing with getting older that I’ve found to be true is that it’s difficult to compare current circumstances with times in years past. Is this the worst winter we’ve ever had? Well, I don’t think I can say that it is, exactly. It was a solid winter, with a lot of very cold days, and snow that stayed around for weeks on end. But I can’t tell you more than that. I don’t tend to keep the years straight in my mind. Once it’s done, it’s gone, and that’s that. Unless, of course, there is something exceptional that happened in a year. Then I might remember it.

I can tell you this winter we’re still in was worst than last year’s, in that this winter we had a couple of days when the furnace couldn’t quite keep up with the cold. It was only for a few hours each time, but to me it was a sign that the cold this year was deeper and more biting. Canada did set some new record cold days, so science apparently agrees with me.

Either that or my furnace needs servicing. That could be, too, and I’ll get it done before we have to turn the air conditioner on. I had planned to get the servicing done in January, but then we were in a midst of a stay-at-home order. Had there been an emergency, I would have contacted the company and had one of their repair persons in.

Spring is my favorite season, and in my mind, I have always considered it to be the season of renewal, but more, a season of hope. Makes sense in a way, because by the end of February a person can feel a little hope-depleted. Nothing replenishes that sweet resource more than the sight of flower shoots breaking ground, or the verdant green aura that envelops trees just as their buds appear. There’s a morning so pure, so blue-skied and bursting with fresh air, you can almost get intoxicated standing on your porch and breathing in deeply. On such a day, it can feel as if the possibilities are endless

I imagine that in the next week or so, we’ll begin to turn our minds to what we’ll need for this year’s veggie gardens, and whether or not we’ll go to the nursery to get some flowers to plant. Last year we learned a lot, so this year, hopefully, we’ll be happier with our results. But there is joy and purpose just in the doing, completely independent of whether you get good results or not.

I think that is true for a lot of activities in life. Or at least it should be. I look forward to getting my hands in the dirt, to cupping the fragile roots of young plants, and setting them firmly to grow. I look forward to appreciating the sense of life a garden engenders.

Because this winter has been a bit colder, David was more attentive in ensuring the critter feeders, front yard and back, were filled. He got bird seed for the birds, and sunflower seeds and peanuts in the shell for the squirrels and chipmunks. So when we settle in to figure out our gardening supplies, I’m going to suggest he jerry rig one additional item for each garden table.

I think we might need some chicken wire “hats” for the tables to wear—hats that will let the sun and rain in, and hopefully keep the critters out.

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury


No comments:

Post a Comment