Wednesday, November 11, 2020

 November 11, 2020

This past weekend was incredibly warm for November. Sunday was David’s birthday—he turned 68. It was also our Sonja’s birthday—she turned 43, but don’t tell her I told you that.

In years past, David and I would take the gang out to one of our better Steakhouse chains in the area for a supper, complete with a plethora of appetizers as well as desserts for those who wished to indulge. If I get any dessert at that restaurant it’s usually a tiny crème brûlée, because I’m not a fan of anything overly sweet.  The restaurant provides a complementary and very large piece of an ice cream cake with whipped cream and lots of rich chocolate for each birthday celebrant. It’s far too big of a portion for one person to eat. So generally, everyone else gets a fork and the two pieces of cake are shared.

This year is different, of course, but thanks to the cooperation of the weather (it hit 70 on Sunday), we hosted an outdoor “barbeque” where steak and garlic shrimp skewers were the main entrees. We also served a few grilled burgers and some boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked in foil. There were seven adults at this outdoor celebration and one baby, not too big a crowd, and we have all been very careful in these times to keep ourselves safe.

The number of active cases of Covid-19 in our combined county/city on Sunday was 77, down from 79 the day before. Also, the week ending November 8th has been the worst week for new cases here since the pandemic began, with 61 new positive tests for the week ending Sunday. The virus and its continued reign over our lives is one stressful element that will continue on for some time to come.

How are you feeling now that we’re well into November? Would it surprise you to learn that every single person up here who I have spoken to feels a tremendous sense of relief beginning Saturday? One thing that has become apparent to me over the years is that not all news casts are created equal. We always would watch Canadian, American and British news to get the best, most well-rounded picture of what’s really going on in the world. We still do that, but perhaps not as devotedly as once we did.

Perspective is an interesting phenomenon, don’t you think?

As we take time on this Remembrance Day/Veterans’ Day today to honor the sacrifices of all those who gave their lives in the major wars of the twentieth century, I hope we devote a few minutes to trying to put ourselves in their “heads”.

What was it that they believed to be so precious, so sacred, that they stepped up and volunteered to wear the cloth of their country? What great cause moved them to accept a weapon and, not only put themselves in harm’s way, but be willing take the lives of others?

These were ordinary people who said, “I’ll go.” They had families they loved and lives they were living, and yet, they went to war, and many never came home. Why would they do that? It must have been something extraordinary, don’t you think?

I’ll never forget the snippet of an interview I saw with a man who, in his halting English, explained why he had risked his life to come to our country, and why, on the cusp of voting for the first time, he had tears on his cheeks. His eyes glistening, he whispered one word: freedom.

I had never heard that word said with such majestic reverence before. We perhaps are guilty of taking the splendid idea represented by that word, that concept, for granted. Those of us who were born from the twentieth century forward here in Canada and in the United States, have, for the most part, always been free.

I also recall the warnings, issued in high school by history and sociology teachers alike that we must guard our freedom, for it could be taken from us. These warnings came particularly on special days of commemoration, like today. Maybe at the time we shrugged those warnings off, believing that nothing like that could ever happen here. Certainly not to us, and certainly not here.

If the last four years have taught us anything, it is that we can indeed have our freedom stolen from us because that very nearly happened. And we’ve learned that democracy is more fragile than we knew, and we must do all we can to guard it.

Freedom isn’t free; and it isn’t infinite. My freedom to act how I choose has a limit, and that, of course, is where my actions would harm you. Because I am convinced by the science, I wear a mask when I leave my house; I keep my distance from anyone not of my household; I wash my hands with sanitizer while I am out, and give them a good scrubbing when I get home.

I do this to protect you and I pray with great fervor that all y’all will do that, to protect me. And if you need further convincing, I leave you with this thought:

When have you ever been given such a simple, no-sweat way to save a life and be a hero?

 

Love,

Morgan

http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment