Wednesday, February 5, 2020

February 5, 2020

There are only three prognosticating rodents that I pay any attention to: Punxsutawney Phil, Staten Island Chuck, and Wiarton Willie. For my American readers, the last one is in Ontario, north of here.

It doesn’t happen very often, but this year all three of them have predicted an early spring. Now, I’m going to ignore the whole “early spring” versus “six more weeks of winter” discussion claiming that, in fact, the two are actually the same amount of tiem. The difference is, of course, what you make it of it. So many choices, so little time!

So no, I won’t go there.

You may recall that I claim that up here in Canada, we really have six months of winter, stretching from October first to March 30th, inclusive. By that reckoning, we are at this moment 4/6th done with the blighted season, with only 2/6th left to go. Again, same time frame it just sounds better to say 4/6th done as opposed to 2/3rd done. My final word on the subject is that spring will come, and in my opinion, the sooner, the better.

We changed our minds about the sofa/recliner we wanted for our living room in that we were going to order it in black, which would mean a 12 to 14-week delivery period. We decided we really didn’t want to wait that long. So this past Saturday, we went to the furniture store, and tried out the one that they had in stock, the very same model only in walnut instead of black. We tried it, we loved it, we bought it.

Our new sofa/recliner arrives today!

Now all we need to make our living room complete is a small round or oval area rug in front of the sofa, and a piece of art to hang on the large blank wall above our television set. My husband is insisting on working on the bedroom next. I’ve asked him if he wouldn’t really rather get someone in to do it for us, but he has refused. He wants to do it himself (with some help from our daughter and possibly, hopefully, he will accept the help of our granddaughter’s fiancĂ©, a lovely young man who works in house construction).

I understand where my beloved’s insistence coming from. I think a lot of men, especially, go through a phase after retirement where they wonder if they have any usefulness anymore. It’s surprised me some that he’s feeling a bit of that, but he is. So, I am not saying anything, except to encourage him to do whatever he wants to do.

We human beings are complicated creatures, aren’t we?

Now, I promised all y’all an update on David’s decision about whether or not he was going to keep one of Tuffy’s puppies. I’m so happy to tell you that he is! You may recall that the litter born on November 28th consisted of three pups – two boys and a girl. One of the boys and the girl are fluffy – more Morkie-like than Chihuahua. The other boy that was more Chihuahua but with some Morkie showing, has Tuffy’s black/brown-beige combination of colors. He also has that look in his eyes that is so like Tuffy. The fluffy boy has been adopted by one of my daughter’s friends. He now lives only a few blocks from here, and there may be play-dates in the future. His adoptive family already loves him to bits.

Our daughter is still trying to find a home for the fluffy girl. I have a feeling that my encouragement to my husband about the love of a puppy being worth the cost of the eventual parting might have taken better than I’d hoped. It’s more than a little possible that if our daughter can’t find another home, he’s going to insist on keeping her, too.

As much as I don’t feel we can manage that, I know my daughter is here, so the extra work isn’t all on me. But more, I don’t believe I have the right to tell him what to do in this, either. If I don’t appreciate someone here telling me what I can or can’t do, then how can I object if he comes to a decision of what he wants?

The answer is: life is short, and I can’t. I’m trying to live by the principle of doing unto others, and I have found the older I get, the easier that is.

I will let you know if indeed he makes that choice. In the meantime, I introduce to you Theodore Bear, son of Tuffy.

He’s already well loved (as is his sister). I’ll keep you informed on the puppy situation.

Love,
Morgan
http://www.morganashbury.com

http://www.bookstrand.com/morgan-ashbury

No comments:

Post a Comment